If you only try one food preservation project this year – this is the one! It’s ridiculously simple, requires no special equipment and you will be amazed by the scrumptious results!
Homemade Fruit Leather Recipe
- 1 kg of summer fruits – eg. plums, peaches, mango, nectarines. A mix is best. Add a bit of banana or kiwi if you want extra sweetness. Fruits that are soft and pass their prime taste even better – why throw them out when they just want to be fruit leather?
- Wash and dry the fruit. Peel, if relevant. Remove pits.
- Blend the fruit until smooth
- Pour onto an oven tray lined with baking paper. 1kg should cover 2 trays- Try make the layer of fruit puree as even in thickness as possible, without lumps and bumps
- Dry it in a convection oven on 60 degrees C for 8 hours. (overnight is perfect)
- Check to see the surface has hardened to leather. If it’s still a bit gooey, dry for another 1-3 hours
- When the fruit leather is ready, you can peel it off the baking paper easily. Tear it into pieces or cut it with scissors.
My whole family adores homemade fruit leather. It is so much more yummy, natural, healthy and inexpensive than the stuff you buy. I love how it gets sweeter and yummier the longer you chew it! I love how it makes magic out of soft fruit that no one wants to eat!
Let me know how it goes!
My name is Naomi and this is my tiny little farm in the heart of the rapidly growing city of Beit Shemesh, Israel. I enjoy growing, making and processing as much of my family's food and household essentials as possible, while nurturing a biodiverse ecosystem filled with beauty and life.