My two youngest kids and I wait for the big zucchinis to grow and then save them for this recipe, which we make once a week during the summer.We prefer it to “real” lasagna!
It’s also perfect for people eating gluten free or low carb.
- 1 liter marinara sauce (we make it at home out of fresh or canned tomatoes)
- 150 ml milk or cooking cream, to mix into the sauce, if you like it a bit creamy (optional)
- 4-5 large zucchinis, thinly sliced length-wise
- 2 tubs cottage cheese
- Cheese (sliced, grated, etc.)
- In a large baking dish, smooth a thin layer of marinara sauce, then create a layer of zucchini slices, top with more sauce and then an even layer of a tub of cottage cheese.
- repeat layers: zucchini, sauce, cottage cheese.
- top with a layer of zucchini slices and a bit more sauce.
- NOTE: with regular lasagna, you need a lot of sauce or it dries out, but with zucchini lasagna, it doesn’t need to be that saucy, because the zucchinis emit liquid when cooking.
- Bake for 45 mins covered on 180 degrees C.
- Uncover, place cheese on top and bake another 15 mins until melted
- Remove from oven and let it stand 5-10 mins before serving.
My name is Naomi and this is my tiny little farm in the heart of the rapidly growing city of Beit Shemesh, Israel. I enjoy growing, making and processing as much of my family's food and household essentials as possible, while nurturing a biodiverse ecosystem filled with beauty and life.